Wednesday, May 27, 2009

A New Space for Mama

I have been positively trolling the free section of Craigslist, and my local Freecycle, looking for a desk..or a table...or a large sturdy box...or SOMETHING I could use with my sewing machine!

Let me back up a bit. When my father was here visiting a few weeks ago, he looked at my MOUNTAIN of fabric, notions, patterns and supplies sitting in the corner of my living room...and my sewing machine and paraphernalia sprawled across my kitchen table...and mentioned that a desk, ANY desk, would look better in that messy corner than all my junk did sitting on the floor.

I don't know why I didn't realize it before...but he was right! I couldn't find what I needed in the pile of stuff in the corner, I was constantly shifting stuff from one side of the room to the other while I was sewing, not to mention my power cord that stretched across an area where BBJ walks all day. No - I NEEDED a sewing desk, immediately. (My criteria - free, wooden, sturdy. That's about it.)

Yesterday, I found a desk! I had already been ignored too late to get several other desks, so I didn't have a lot of hope for this one...until the sweet lady wrote back and said I could come and pick it up off the curb. Wahoo!

Even better? My sweet husband made a conscious decision to be super nice when he got home from work and found out about the desk - he bolted his dinner, folded down the seats in the car, and took off to pick up the desk for me! It was a half hour drive, and I really didn't expect him to do that, especially not with a cold AND having worked all day in an empty office. (Thanks, honey!)

I spent an hour last night cleaning up "The Corner", sorting through all my stuff...and finishing up some projects.

Would you like a tour?

Here she is. Maybe we'll call her Bertha. Bertha and her Brother (sewing machine). hehe


The top shelf is for finished projects. Below that is a space for sewing notions, and another shelf for packing/shipping supplies. I keep my thread, ribbons, etc. on the right part of the desk top.

In fact, here's a pile of finished projects! Any guess what these are? (You'll see pictures, soon - I talked the recipient of this pile of lovliness into coming over tomorrow so I can hand deliver these to her kids. I'm so excited!)

Oooh, look! I even have a shelf for the projects that are cut and ready to sew. My cutting space is in the basement, so I tend to cut several projects out at once while the kids are both asleep, and then bring them up to work on while the kids are either asleep or playing. (The projects you see below are destined to become two sets of baby blankets, with matching burp cloths. I bought 40 yards of flannel on Black Friday last year..and I'm almost out! *gasp*)


This desk makes me so ridiculously happy...I have my own little space!

So, this begs the question - where do you work? Are you like I was, with a little corner of the kitchen table staked out as your own? Do you have a corner of a room? A room of your own?? Do tell!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I love the desk what a great find. I love to freecycle too, I received a neat notion box once. You have to be fast though because the good stuff goes in a flash.

Brianne said...

Love the new desk. Don't hate me, but I have a whole room. Complete with huge desk with shelfs above it and lots of drawers, a separate table for my sewing machine, a dresser for my fabric and gift wrapping supplies, and a walk-in closet with even more storage. I should be able to keep it until baby #3 comes, which should be awhile since we don't even have a #2 yet.

Brianne said...

Love the new desk. Don't hate me, but I have a whole room. Complete with huge desk with shelfs above it and lots of drawers, a separate table for my sewing machine, a dresser for my fabric and gift wrapping supplies, and a walk-in closet with even more storage. I should be able to keep it until baby #3 comes, which should be awhile since we don't even have a #2 yet.